St. John’s Cemetery, located between East 3rd & 4th Streets
in historic Frederick, Maryland, is owned and operated by St. John's Cemetery, Inc.
- Established 1845 -
In-ground gravesites in the hallowed ground of historic St. John’s Cemetery are for the permanent repose of human remains.
We have very limited in-ground gravesites available.
The columbarium provides a place in the hallowed ground of historic St. John’s Cemetery for the permanent repose of cremated human remains, and is open to everyone.
All remains are treated with the respect and reverence mandated by our faith tradition.
St. John's Cemetery is the beautiful resting ground for an interesting and distinguished group of early settlers, historic figures, Jesuits and Civil War soldiers.
The cemetery was first used in 1832 and officially established in 1845.
Established in 1845, St. John’s Cemetery is located between 3rd & 4th Streets at East Street in historic downtown Frederick, Maryland. The cemetery is owned and operated by St. John's Cemetery, Inc. and is open to people of all faiths.
The cemetery is the final resting place for many notable figures, such as Enoch Louis Lowe, 29th Governor and Father John McElroy, S.J., who founded St. John’s Literary Institute and Boston College. Also of interest are a number of French settlers and two of Napoleon’s soldiers who survived Waterloo.
A recent addition to the cemetery in 2019 is a 405 nitche columbarium for the permanent repose of loved ones. As well, there are still spaces available for in-ground burials.
For information please leave a voice mail at
(301) 917-3099 and a board member will contact you.
Board of Directors
Bill Milani - PRESIDENT
Sue Murphy - VICE PRESIDENT
Don Murphy - SECRETARY
Dan Lawton - TREASURER
Father John Williamson - CHAIR EX OFFICIO
Jim McSherry, Jr.